Shiny, healthy hair is the most elusive beauty secret of all time. Whether you have long, natural locks or a short and sassy style, there are certain things that you should never, ever do to your hair.
1. Thou shalt not over wash thy tresses. It is easy to fall into a trap where you think your hair is not clean without a daily shampoo. Constant washing strips the hair of essential moisture and makes it dry and prone to breakage. Long hair does not need to be washed more than three times a week with a quality sulfate-free shampoo.
2. Thou shalt not use thy flat iron without heat protection. Flat ironing the hair is a very easy way to create a sexy and smooth look. Some people grow so dependent on their flat irons that their hair can become very damaged. There are several excellent products on the market that can help protect the hair from the high temperatures of a flat iron or curling wand.
3. Though shalt honor thy moisturizer and thy conditioner. Investing in a salon quality leave-in conditioner is absolutely necessary and it should be applied liberally to your hair every time it is wet. Conditioning after shampooing, and adding the leave-in conditioner after towel drying are both important steps.
4. Though shalt style thy hair section by section. Using clips to separate your hair into manageable sections will make it easier to style and prevent damage. After you have sectioned off your hair, start from the bottom, and work your way up and around.
5. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s hair. It is important to remember that everyone is different, and everyone has their own hair type. Wishing you were naturally blonde, when you have a gorgeous head full of brunette curls is not helpful. Celebrating who you are, and using styling techniques that compliment your unique traits is the smartest beauty commandment.
6. Though shalt treat thy hair kindly and gently. Sometimes we can be pressed for time, or frustrated that a bad hair day is shaping up. Yanking or twisting the hair with impatience will certainly make matters worse and will create more problems with breakage and split ends. Accept that sometimes you’ll have bad hair days and try pulling it back into a headband. Putting on a pretty pair of earrings will distract others from your hair by providing an interesting focal point.
7. Thou shalt go blonde gradually. Learn from the horrible mistakes that have been made by legions of of impatient women. Don’t go blonde all at once. You know this, but repeating it can’t hurt.
8. Thou shalt be generous with the provider of thy hair services Having unrealistic expectations when going to the hair salon is a waste of your money and the professional’s time. Make sure to clearly communicate your desires and expectations. If you are happy with the result, tip well.
9. Thou shalt not brush wet hair Hair is more elastic when wet and brushing it can lead to stretching and breaking.
10. Thou shalt not pull hair into tight pony tails If you must have your hair away from your face, try a soft cotton headband.
Tight pony tails can lead to breakage and even hair loss. Putting too much pressure on the scalp is not healthy for the hair follicle.